On 4/3/06, Pete Vickers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for you work on this, but if you take a look at the pound mail
> archives (http://www.apsis.ch/pound/pound_list) it can be seen that
> pound v2.x is still very cutting edge / development, with lots of
> issues regularly discovered. I therefore deliberately did the OpenBSD
> port on the stable mature v1.x code base. I think that better
> reflects the OpenBSD ethos of security & stability etc. My port also
> includes an example with chroot & drop privs configured, and several
> diff to make pound more BSD like regarding logging etc.

After following the Pound mailing list since v1.6 or so, my assessment
is that v2.0 has resolved several issues that existed in v1.x (such as
memory leaks for example). The authors consider v2.0 stable, where
v2.0.4 include fixes for smaller issues. Actually, v2.0.4 is
considered beta because the author invites for testing under heavy
load.

Since v2.0.4 is out, I observe that the few problems that were posted
are mostly related to building it on some platforms, or to issues
where Pound is only one element in the entires chain client's browser
- backend Web servers (e.g. where the solution is often not involving
patching Pound itself, but either adding a functional extension or
changing the surrounding setup).

> I've enclosed an updated port for v1.10

Thanks for this update from interim v1.9.5, and for having done &
posted the initial port in January. The  reason which triggered me to
update the port to v2.0.4 was that v1.9.5 is not available from the
source anymore for downloading.

What is the next step to get Pound (any version that is considered
acceptable) included into the ports tree?

Rolf