Hello,

Since this is directed to me, and assuming I wrote the double >>'ed sections
below (which sound a lot like me but so much is snipped that I cannot be
sure), I can assure you that, my intention, if I am the guity party was not
to insult any person or any particular OS, but just to point out that it
appears to me to be an OS compatibility problem (actually a system header
file to be more correct).

See notes below, where I assume that I wrote the offending statements:

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 18:28, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > > Stop in /usr/local/src/bacula-1.38.11/src/stored.
> >
> > It looks to me like the OS' header file is badly broken -- at least in the
> > sense that if it is a Unix system, both mt_fileno and mt_blkno should be
> > defined in the struct mtget.
> >
> > Someone should fix the OS, barring that we will need a patch.
>
> Kern, Rus, et al:
>
> We have to be really careful with regard how we word things here.  The
> way you assert that could be easily misinterpreted or misconstrued to
> have a vendor-bashing tone.

I'm sorry, I did not intend to be vendor bashing.  I stand by what is written.
If it is a Unix system and there are not mt_fileno and mt_blkno in the struct
mtget, there are serious compatibility problems, since I don't have an
OpenBSD system, assuming the OS is not going to change, we would need a patch
to Bacula to fix it.

> Moreover, conceding the unavailability of compatibility with the OpenBSD
> platform doesn't gain us any additional users; a very large group of
> talented individuals with tremendous experience writing highly secure,
> reliable, and _portable_ code who could contribute greatly to the
> project.
>
> -- To set the record straight, and encourage mutual cooperation --
>
> The reality here is that OpenBSD is very selective about where it
> focuses its development efforts, and the st(4) driver is not one of
> those places.
>
> Therefore, the assertion that "The OS is broken" is not correct, it
> simply hasn't been implemented or maintained as it should.

Yes, broken was a poor choice of words.  I would rephrase it to say it is not
Unix compatible.

> Before I go on and make my own silly assertions, I should note: '
>
>    Things are always subject to change, and this is F/OSS and you're
>    always welcome to do the work yourself or have corporate sponsorship.
>
> OpenBSD is not the platform for a Bacula director.  You wont see it (at
> present) driving a 5-LTO3-drive, 2000 tape, 1000+ Terabyte StorageTek
> Powderhorn Tape Silo connected via Brocade FC switches.(1)
>
> However you will see it at the perimeter and on the wire keeping the
> packet kiddies from stealing all of your customers data.  It could be
> the ideal system for the job with features like enhanced crypto
> acceleration via crypto(9) and the existing improvements on scsi(4) and
> recent HBA support.
>
> Anyway, not a director, not now at least, and probably not a SD Storage
> Daemon either.

Yes, since the problem above arises when compiling the SD.

> But most definitely a management console and file daemon.

I think these already exist.  Bacula does have some code to support OpenBSD.

> Russel: You'll probably notice that Bacula builds perfectly fine up
> until it gets to the director, then you get into OS-specific kernel
> knits and hooks where either OpenBSD lacks the framework/API (pthreads,
> st(4), etc.) or kernel-specific code needs to be added to Bacula.

Without a decent implementation of pthreads, even the client (file daemon)
will not build.