I've recently become MASSIVELY dissatisfied with some port rules.

Specifically, the ordering of Makefile.template.

I feel that, when you create a port from scratch, it doesn't match
AT ALL the order in which you fill fields.

I don't think it fits my workflow at all.

This isn't really surprising, for a lot of reasons.

- Makefile.template grew in haphazard ways
- each commit tried to add something in a location that was easy to explain.

My current opinion is, if we want to (more or less) enforce the ordering of
Makefile.template, we ought to make it match a reasonable workflow.

I don't think it does! right now.

Yeah, I'm a special case. I write ports from scratch (after all, I wrote
MOST of the infrastructure behind it), and currently the Makefile.template
order is more of a hindrance than help.

Thus, I welcome actual workflow inputs.

Stuff I'd like is ACTUAL Makefiles for new ports, where you added
new stuff IN THE ORDER you thought of it... Assuming you use the
documentation as a template.

If you're used to copying Makefile.template, THEN uncomment parts, I *urge*
you to write a Makefile from scratch, have Makefile.template somewhere
around, and add lines as you figure out that you need them.

I think that *eventually* we should have a (more or less) standard ordering
for new ports, but it doesn't have to match the current order of
Makefile.template.

This file is shit, because it serves two purposes:
- it's expanded documentation more or less taking over from bsd.port.mk(5)
- it's supposed to tell you where to put stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, it no longer serves its second purpose AT ALL.

I do agree that having more or less standard locations for lines in
Makefiles is a GOOD thing, but the current order of Makefile.template makes
no sense to me.