On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 06:58:42PM +0000, Zé Loff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 07:45:26AM -0800, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:05:21AM +0100, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> > > Sending new ports is really hazardous, even for people with commit
> > > rights. Reviewing a port take time because the OpenBSD project has a
> > > high quality standard and it's preferred to correctly work on the ports
> > > before they get included.  This is sometimes discouraging, but there are
> > > only volunteers here doing reviews on their free time and there are no
> > > performance obligation. People review what they use or enjoy, we can't
> > > force anyone to review something they don't like. This doesn't mean
> > > we shouldn't send new ports, but sometimes, when we send a port, it's
> > > either missed or the person who may have interest in it is busy and
> > > will forget. That's why a ping can be very useful from time to time.
> > >
> > > If you make a port, at least you can use it for yourself before it get
> > > included, which is quite useful for keeping your system clean.
> > >

> > Except that others are requesting this be ported into OpenBSD for years.
> > This is accounting software. It needs to be thoroughly tested or
> > companies may fail. SMB stands for small to medium sized businesses.
> >
> > As an interesting note. During the 1.2 and 1.3 stages, a long time ago,
> > I almost got this into the tree. FreeBSD did. Then both here and at
> > FreeBSD, the work was abandoned.
> >
> > I see a ton of new ports and updates that never get reviewed. I see many
> > posts to this list and other lists about these. They get
> > mentioned, but the port is lost.
> > I hate to see this work hopelessly lost. So much work for nothing. It
> > hurts OpenBSD.
> >
> > I have a big proposal. It would require some tough rules to avoid being
> > a disaster tree. But it would leave these ports visible.
> >
> > Something like this:
> >
> > /usr/dirty_ports/ with a category tree in it that only has categories
> > with ports inside of them.
> > It could only be run by -current.
> > The size of the tree would need some method of regulation to not grow
> > hopelessly large.
> > But the size would show how many ports need reviews and it would let
> > someone review ports whenever they have some free time.
> >
> > /usr/dirty_ports/devel/myport/review_problems/notes to tell what the
> > problems are. Maybe just a ping, maybe what can't be figured out with
> > that port or a dependency it needs.
> >
> > pkg_add LedgerSMB
> > This port is found under /usr/dirty_ports/.
> > No packages are ever built for these ports.
> > Please help the project and review these ports.
> > These ports require running -current.
> > You will need to build these ports yourself.
> > No support will be provided for systems running these ports as they
> > may cause stability and security problems.
> > Please add USE_DIRTY_PORTS=Yes to /etc/mk.conf
> >
> > This would be good enough for me and extremely satisfying that my work
> > isn't lost for all time when I disappear, which also includes unpleasant
> > things like death.
> [...]

Yes. I asked about using that, but I was advised that it really wouldn't
be appropriate.

These are a quickly run port generator of core deps that I just ran to
post here right now. It lacks many TEST_DEPENDS, BUILD and RUN_DEPENDS

The short list of just core depends, but not complete.

p5-ExtUtils-CChecker->=0.11 needs updating

cpan:
p5-CPAN-DistnameInfo
p5-Crypt-URandom
p5-Data-Binary
p5-DateTime-Format-Duration-ISO8601,
p5-Email-Stuffer
p5-Feature-Compat-Try
p5-File-PathList
p5-Locale-CLDR
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ar,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Bg
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ca
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Cs
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Da,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-De
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-El
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-En
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Es,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Et
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Fi
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Fr
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Hu,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Id
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Is
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-It
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Lt,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ms
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Nb
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Nl
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Pl,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Pt
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ru
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Sv
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Tr,
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Uk
p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Zh
p5-Math-Random-ISAAC-XS
p5-Module-CPANTS-Analyse,
p5-Module-CPANfile
p5-MooX-ClassAttribute
p5-MooseX-ClassAttribute
p5-Number-Tolerant
p5-PGObject,
p5-PGObject-Simple
p5-PGObject-Simple-Role
p5-PGObject-Type-BigFloat
p5-PGObject-Type-ByteString,
p5-PGObject-Type-DateTime
p5-PGObject-Util-DBAdmin
p5-PGObject-Util-DBMethod
p5-Perl-Critic-StricterSubs,
p5-Perl-PrereqScanner-NotQuiteLite
p5-Plack-Builder-Conditionals
p5-Plack-Request-WithEncoding,
p5-Pod-Coverage-TrustPod
p5-Pod-Eventual
p5-Regexp-Trie
p5-Session-Storage-Secure,
p5-String-Compare-ConstantTime
p5-Syntax-Keyword-Try
p5-Test-Kwalitee
p5-URI-cpan
p5-Unicode-Regex-Set,
p5-Workflow
p5-XS-Parse-Keyword

devel:
p5-DateTime-Format-Duration-ISO8601
p5-ExtUtils-CChecker
p5-Pod-Coverage-TrustPod
p5-Pod-Eventual

mail:
p5-Email-Stuffer

There are at *least* 10 more. Some of these need testing with postgresql
server.

Once that it is time to port in LedgerSMB itself, there is another long
list just for testing LedgerSMB.

The above list does not include some optional feature like PDF and
LaTeX.

I have a fair number above maybe ready to submit, but those need to be
reviewed by me first. Especially the interactions with postgresql.
That work is a bit old.

--
\o/,
Chris Bennett