On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:00:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2021/12/13 11:18, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > cpan:
> > p5-CPAN-DistnameInfo
> > p5-Crypt-URandom
> > p5-Data-Binary
>
> cpan is not a valid category, it is just where portgen puts things that it
> has just built, they need moving to whichever real category is most
> appropriate.

I know, I just really wanted to point out on the list with this thread
that there are a lot of ports involved with this.
I ran this just to put up a sorta right list so that others could see
that I'm not whining about having to do just a couple of ports.

> > p5-DateTime-Format-Duration-ISO8601,
> > p5-Email-Stuffer
> > p5-Feature-Compat-Try
> > p5-File-PathList
> > p5-Locale-CLDR
> > p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ar,
> > p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Bg
> > p5-Locale-CLDR-Locales-Ca
>
> I explained what to do with the CLDR-Locales ports and subdirectories before

I haven't forgotten that. I lost access to -current before I could get
to them. I have re-read those older emails recently.

> btw, from your mail from October
>
> : So, I found bringing in Core::Thingy a problem I didn't see a reasonable
> way to
> : accomplish.
> : Who wants to review 12 new ports a once just to bring in p5-Core-Thingy?
> : Submitting such a ridiculous email chain was preposterous!
> :
> : I never did get any advice on this aspect of the problem. Depressing.
>
> That is unfair, this is one of the things I explained about in my
> mail from 2019, "So for the smaller perl ports I'd try to group them
> with a chunk of say 3-5 closely related ports (one port plus required
> dep's, or a couple of similar ports"

What I didn't see was to work outwards to inwards. It just didn't occur
to me.
There were some difficult problems to work out with postgresql database
interactions with the p5-PGOject* ports that required a lot of work on
my part and with some help.
I really don't understand at all how the postgresql-mod.mk works.
I know what it accomplishes, but I would love to actually "get it".
Most of what I do besides porting uses postgresql.

I am also working on a project for myself that I intend to release that
works with neomutt and postgresql to pull out configuration files on the
fly from the database. I'm using it right now to run my neomutt with
different email addresses within a perl wrapper. Still very WIP.

Life hands us whatever it hands us.
Fair/unfair/earned/unearned/deserve/don't deserve in my opinion is all
BS. Working hard or hardly working doesn't really have any effect in
life. Both can produce success or failure.
I think that luck runs on some kind of Bell curve.
Nobody would be called lucky unless there was somebody unlucky.

>From my point of view, submitting ports and watching many others getting
new ports and updating existing ports committed is.......

I will look in the ports archives to see if any of the ports I'm working
on already had work by someone else. That's a very good idea.

I do listen, maybe I'm just not as bright as I used to be. }-)

--
Chris Bennett