On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 01:06:02AM +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> Please disregard the previous message in this thread: the twm windows
> manager was the culprit. It seems it is very sensible when it comes to
> display windows above the main browser window, i.e. pop-up menus,
> tooltips, overlays menu, etc. This twm got me again, so i came back to
> cwm and add-on installs fine.

Yes. twm has absolutely no support for the _NET_WM protocol / Exentend
Windows Manager Hints(1) that have been introduced more than 15 years
ago, and are required by most "modern" toolkits (gtk/qt) for at least
10 years.

We should have removed twm(1) from xenocara a long time ago since
there is no developer interest to "modernize" it by implemnting those
features.

(1) https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/latest/
--
Matthieu Herrb