On 2022/05/26 20:51, Rubén Llorente wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 10:48:33AM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > how is it detecting how much memory to use? if it's looking at available
> > physical memory without considering resource limits, could that be changed?
> >
> > there is precedent for programs to adjust RLIMIT_DATA from the default to
> > the max available within the current limit if they know they're likely
> > to need it - see e.g. src/usr.bin/sort/sort.c.
> >
> > if it's possible to automate this within reasonable bounds, this would
> > be better than asking the user to adjust login.conf themselves.
> >

> Hello,
>
> lrzip's resource consumption is just brutal. If you try to compress 4 Gb
> worth of data it will try, by default, to use 4 GB of RAM or all
> available physical memory, whatever is the smallest.

https://github.com/ckolivas/lrzip/blob/master/lrzip.c#L100=

So it ought to consider "memory available to the process" based on
getrlimit(RLIMIT_DATA, ...) instead of "available physical memory"

(Yet) another program that thinks it has a whole machine to itself..

> I personally use lrzip for massive archives (+16 GB) and, judging by
> Kolivas' documentation, his idea is for lrzip to be used that way.
>
> Can we patch the port to do the RLIMIT_DATA trick? Maybe. I'd be
> surprised if that was enough for using lrzip as intended, though :-)

btw the default datasize limit for a member of "staff" class on amd64
is already 4GB.