On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:14:28PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> The systrace bug has been fixed in -current and now the TeXLive port
> builds and installs perfectly for me on i386.[...]
[...]
> Matthias: Did you get a chance to try a build?

No, sorry. But i did read your ports (and, as you know, had also a
look at the layout of that TeXLive distribution).

Apart from general porting nitpicking (too long lines in DESCR, too
many patching instead of trying to tweak variables) that can be
resolved without too much trouble, i've some headaches with the
size the texlive_texmf. That's more than 512 MB for the distfile,
and I've no idea yet how large the package will be. Correct me if
i'm wrong.

Compare this to the current teTeX_texmf (87MB distfile, 37MB package).

I know that this is how the TeXLive distribution comes, and i'm
also aware of the problem that all that fancy CTAN stuff included
in texmf-dist isn't versioned, but could you try to trim the texmf
part down to some smaller size, maybe split into several packages
(some "basic" stuff we also have in teTeX_texmf, and one or more
"extra" packages)?

Or has anyone a better idea on dealing with TeX related packages?

Ciao,
        Kili