Hi Matthias (and Karl in CC),

On 18/05/07, Matthias Kilian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:14:28PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> The systrace bug has been fixed in -current and now the TeXLive port
> builds and installs perfectly for me on i386.[...]
[...]
> Matthias: Did you get a chance to try a build?

No, sorry. But i did read your ports (and, as you know, had also a
look at the layout of that TeXLive distribution).

Apart from general porting nitpicking (too long lines in DESCR, too
many patching instead of trying to tweak variables).
that can be resolved without too much trouble,

I tried tweaking variables. Also now those patches will go upstream to
many different people as texlive does not maintain most of those
libraries.

i've some headaches with the
size the texlive_texmf. That's more than 512 MB for the distfile,
and I've no idea yet how large the package will be. Correct me if
i'm wrong.

Compare this to the current teTeX_texmf (87MB distfile, 37MB package).

I have had headaches too. TeXLive is much more comprehensive than
teTeX. It's just the way it is.

I know that this is how the TeXLive distribution comes, and i'm
also aware of the problem that all that fancy CTAN stuff included
in texmf-dist isn't versioned, but could you try to trim the texmf
part down to some smaller size

How? Thats what I was trying to do with texmf-doc.

, maybe split into several packages
(some "basic" stuff we also have in teTeX_texmf, and one or more
"extra" packages)?

What you are describing here is my next project, which is to further
integrate christian esser's MiKTeX tools for UNIX into kpathsea, so
that it donloads ctan stuff as it is needed at (latex) compile time. I
need to do a lot more research (and finish my exams) before I can
start that.

Or has anyone a better idea on dealing with TeX related packages?

Maybe Karl Berry (of TeXLive) has some ideas. I'll cc him in on this.

If worst comes to worst and the package is just too large, then I can
distribute my packages as third party packages, although that would be
a shame as I have put a lot of effort into the port.

I'll fix DESCR at some point.

--
Best Regards

Edd