On 2022/08/08 18:01:31 +0300, Pavel Korovin <p...@tristero.se> wrote:
> After several years of maintaining Elastic stack on OpenBSD I'm going to
> drop it.
>
> Ports list:
>
> - sysutils/beats
>     outdated, v7.10.2; last tested v8.2.2, can be kept up-to-date
>
> - sysutils/logstash
>     outdated, v7.10.0, can be kept up-to-date
>
> - textproc/elasticsearch
>     outdated, v7.10.0; last tested v8.2.2, (hopefully) can be kept up-to-date
>
> - www/kibana
>     outdated, v7.10.0; last tried v8.2.2 - didn't and won't work
>
> I see several problems with ELK ports:
>
> 1) after Elastic dropped OSS versions, they integrated the non-free part
> previously known as X-Pack so tight, that e.g. Kibana won't start without
> ML plugins which never worked on OpenBSD anyway (these are
> Linux/OSX-specific);
>
> 2) Elastic license:
> --- cut ---
> You may not move, change, disable, or circumvent the license key functionality
> in the software, and you may not remove or obscure any functionality in the
> software that is protected by the license key.
> --- end cut ---
> (source:
> https://github.com/elastic/beats/blob/main/licenses/ELASTIC-LICENSE-2.0.txt)
>
> Well, I had to remove the functionality which is protected by the license key
> (ML features) to make it work on OpenBSD.
>
> So, the long story short: maintaining ELK on OpenBSD is a pain, testing all
> components requires significant efforts/resources, and since OpenBSD is not
> in the list of platforms supported by Elastic, I don't feel the squeeze worth
> the juice.
>
> I'm looking for comments/suggestions, if any.

Now that we have a release with both elasticsearch and opensearch
available (should be possible to do the migration althought i've never
tried that), I'm ok with removing the elastic stack.  Thank you for
maintaining it!

(it's a bit funny that the way to make kibana run we would have to
disable a part that would infringe the license!)