> On Jan 30, 2023, at 3:45 PM, Volker Schlecht <openbsd-po...@schlecht.dev>
> wrote:

>> please use tbz file?
>> version information is not encoded in the tar.gz files, hence
>> when installed, "ocamlfind list" shows (version: n/a).
>> -- yozo.
>
> With the attached patch, we get the version information into a build with the
> tar.gz as well, however 'ocamlfind list' will still show 'version: n/a' for
> dune.

Hi Volker, I believe the dune team officially releases the tbz distfiles, while
the tgz files are auto generated by GitHub. In general for dune, yozo has a
point that it’s better to use tbz releases. We have other ocaml dune ports that
do this that you could look at if needed.

And more generally when proper releases are available on GitHub, those should
be preferred. You know they are proper releases because the download url has
/releases/ in it.

That being said, yozo, I had thought newer versions of dune had actually fixed
this version problem (but I could be wrong).