That doesn't change the displayed version in ocamlfind, though.

Well, checking the installed files, I found that
dune META file does not contain "version" stanza.
(META file of dune-configurator contains it...)

I wonder it's dune's bug?  I found no issue raised on the github repository.
Anyway, here is my update proposal.

   - somewhat ugly hack, editing META at the last moment of do-install
   - SUBST_VARS removed from Volker's patch

how about this?

-- yozo.

While I'm of course happy to defer to those more knowledgeable about the ocaml ecosystem, I used opam to locally install several releases of dune and did not find a single one that reported a version other than n/a with ocamlfind.

I also tried out the current FreeBSD port of dune with almost the same result (dune reports n/a, but dune.configurator also does).

Are we sure that we aren't bending over backwards here to "fix" something that isn't a bug, and thereby increase the chances of introducing problems elsewhere?

regards,
Volker