Is there an updated patch on this?

I've looked at the surrounding code now and while I don't read R very
well, I think the existing diff is ok (R itself already depends on curl
so no new dep). Seems a bit strange that they'd go out of their way to
avoid trying to autodetect libcurl except on named OS but *shrug*
~Brian

Thanks Stuart. I'll test and commit this evening.

~Brian

Ack. An altogether simpler patch would be to have secureDownloadMethod() always return "libcurl", since we already know for certain that libcurl is available.

That's unlikely to have a chance at being upstreamed, though ;-)