On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 12:23:18PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2023/05/25 18:57, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> > On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 03:23:23PM +0200, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > >
> > > As well, less urgently,
> > > shouldn't there be a way to get Maxima compiled with sbcl, only only ecl.
> > > (sbcl typically gives considerably better performance, and it's available
> > > in ports,
>
> > I wrote the maxima discuss list and they affirm the performance boost
> > that Dima mentions by using sbcl. However I get this make build error:
> >
> > Missing library for sbcl>=0.0
> > Fatal error
> > *** Error 1 in . (/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk:2385
>
> sbcl is a standalone compiler binary + runtime files, there is no
> library so you can't use LIB_DEPENDS+WANTLIB for it. would be
> BUILD_DEPENDS and maybe also RUN_DEPENDS if needed.

For what it is worth, I am able to build Maxima 5.46.0 with OpenBSD 7.3's sbcl
the usual Maxima's way:

./configure --enable-sbcl && make

- but only if I have modern makeinfo, version 6.8 or better.
(same happens, actually, with ecl instead of sbcl, as well).

With the standard ancient OpenBSD's makeinfo (part of texinfo), it fails at
building docs
(yes, one can of course use info and html docs shipped with Maxima instead)

Is there any particular reason there is no modern makeinfo in OpenBSD?
(the one that has texi2any executable, that's version 6.8 or newer)

If it was the case it'd allow to drop several text2<something> ports, as they'd
be all provided by texinfo.

Dima