On 2024/08/22 14:14, Jeremy Evans wrote:
> On 08/22 11:53, Markus Hennecke wrote:
> > Hello Jeremy,
> >
> > when trying to create a new postgresql 16.4 instance on -current I run into
> > this error:
> >
> > fixing permissions on existing directory /var/postgresql/data ... ok
> > creating subdirectories ... ok
> > selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
> > selecting default max_connections ... 100
> > selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
> > selecting default time zone ... Europe/Berlin
> > creating configuration files ... ok
> > running bootstrap script ... ok
> > performing post-bootstrap initialization ... 2024-08-22 11:29:47.157 CEST
> > [54316] FATAL:  syntax error at or near "FOR" at character 5
> > 2024-08-22 11:29:47.157 CEST [54316] STATEMENT:      FOR asciiword,
> > hword_asciipart, asciihword
> >                 WITH french_stem;
> >
> > child process exited with exit code 1
> > initdb: removing contents of data directory "/var/postgresql/data"
> >
> > Existing databases from previous 16.x versions are working, it is only the
> > initdb step that is failing.
> >
> > I am pretty much lost how to proceed. The statement seems to be somewhere in
> > the middle of snoball_create.sql and I didn't see any obvious problems.
>
> I've had two separate reports with the same error when using initdb,
> part of PostgreSQL.  These don't occur on an older snapshot when using
> PostgreSQL 16.4 (the version in -current), so something outside of
> PostgreSQL in -current in the last few days seems likely to be the
> cause.  I will be doing some testing, but my guess is, the older
> version of PostgreSQL (16.3) also has the same issues on -current.

Confirmed, 16.3 does the same on -current.

> Does anyone have an idea of what could have caused this?

There were some libc changes, it may be a bit fiddly to test with
this as there was a bump, easiest way is probably to start with
say ftp.hostserver.de:/archive/2024-08-01-0105 on a scratch machine
(it has packages too), and move forwards between snapshots, testing
initdb each time.