On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Landry Breuil wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 05:30:15PM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > -DISTNAME=    File-Find-Rule-0.28
> > +VERSION=     0.30
> > +DISTNAME=    File-Find-Rule-${VERSION}
>
> There is no point in using a ${VERSION} variable when it's used only
> once.
>
> (i've been kicked several times for this one)
>
> Landry

Oh I hate it when that happens. :-)

But in this case, the folks who've been kicking you should get a clue.

Until `make show=VERSION` is smart enough to determine the software
version (not the package version), there is good reason to have a
VERSION variable. At the moment, `make show=VERSION` fails to get it
right and gives you nothing when you run it on ports which use the
semantics you suggested.

If `make show=VERSION` worked accurately for all ports, it would be much
easier to automate version checking against upstream. Currently, most
of our version checking tools in infrastructure/build/ are at least
somewhat broken.

kind regards,
JCR