Quoting Henning Brauer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
[..]
> > Do you "normalize" his directory layout, or do you maintain his
> > suggested layout (which has its merits, but is VERY non-hier(7)).
>
> normalize!

Conformity!

I've run a bunch of his tools for years, and I still hate having to
guess/find(1) every time I need to look for something.

It's true that people who have made manual installations will have to
adapt to things being in new places.. but it's easy to adapt to things
being where everything else is, and you only have to do this ONE TIME.

Not normalising means just pushing a large pile of crap in front of you,
so just get it right from the beginning and never look back.

> in some places I still have ancient homegrown ports that are full of
> errors. upgrades on tehse machines are STILL much easier than the ones
> that have shit compiled from source.

Upgrading with pkg_add -ui is so much simpler and, which is very
important to me, less error prone.

--
The Librarian gave him the kind of look other people would reserve for
people who said things like `What's so bad about genocide?'