On 2008/07/07 13:07, macintoshzoom wrote:
> On OpenBSD 4.3, to build Java to run, say, Jondos anonymizer, latest
> port seems jre-1.4.2p15, .... it requires 2004? (out)dated distfiles as
> *** j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip
> *** j2sdk-1_4_2-bin-scsl.zip
> ..

huh? 4.3 has 1.5.0.14 and 1.6.0.03 (and 1.7.0b19; now that enough
free code is available binary packages of 1.7 are provided for
-current users and will be in 4.4 - no browser plugin yet though,
AIUI it hasn't yet been freed).

> Lots of years playing with OpenBSD, and sometimes I still feel as the
> latest idiot on earth when trying to install Java: Obsolete, No port,

Of course there are ports, they work well. Even if you don't
count PLISTs, the files that make up the Java ports (patches,
Makefiles etc) are more than *20,000* lines.

> no package, distfiles nearly impossible to find at sun.com sites,

This is hardly OpenBSD's fault...

> results), bsd-jdk14-patches-8.tar.gz from http://www.eyesbeyond.com
> requires to leave your fingerprints because it uses javascript, really,
> really an exasperating experience.

lynx http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk14.html
<page down>
<right>