On Sunday 30 November 2008 19.22.22 Matthias Kilian wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 02:18:26PM +0100, LÉVAI Dániel wrote:
> > > After a closer look at configure.ac and at the source trees after
> > > make configure (with ghostscript installed and uninstalled), I
> > > think you really don't need the no_gs flavor. The only relevant
> > > part that of GraphicsMagick that will be different is
> > > delegates.mgk, and it only differs in what ghostscript device
> > > will be used for the gs-color delegate (pnmraw vs. ppmraw).
> > >
> > > So you can omit the no_gs flavor and drop the RUN_DEPENDS on
> > > ghostscript (but not the BUILD_DEPENDS).
> >
> > You mean to leave the BUILD_DEPENDS only if we are not building a
> > no_x11 FLAVOR, I presume?
>
> No. All you need is a global
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS=          :ghostscript-*:print/ghostscript/gnu
>
> regardless of no_x11 or not. The whole purpose of this dependency
> is to always get the same delegates.mgk that uses pnmraw for
> gs-color.
But the whole point of the no_gs FLAVOR was that if one doesn't need
ghostscript, then don't install it with GM (ie. don't make gs mandatory
for GM). With your proposal, gs would always get installed, no matter
what...

And it's no use either to put that BUILD_DEPENDS only outside
FLAVOR:no_x11, because if one already has a no_x11 FLAVORed ghostscript
installed, then building an x11 enabled GraphicsMagick would want to
install an x11 enabled ghostscript, which is certainly not what the
user wanted in the first place. So with the no_gs FLAVOR added, one
could build an x11 enabled GM, and can also have a no_x11 FLAVORed
ghostscript side-by-side.
Besides, one could of course build an x11 and gs free GM too, with
FLAVOR="no_gs no_x11".

Hope I'm making sense, and please correct me if I'm wrong!

Daniel

--
LEVAI Daniel
PGP key ID = 0x4AC0A4B1