On Monday 19 January 2009 12:34:16 you wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:41:58AM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> > > I have been using ioquake3 with Quake 3 Arena for some time with
> > > an Ati X800 as well as an X1950 Pro on an Intel Dual Core. I get
> > > stuttering/distortion in sound every 3-5 minutes or more often
> > > which is  quite annoying.
> > >
> > > I tried different graphic settings from 1280x1024 with every knob
> > > to max to 600x800 with r_picmip 10 and r_vertexlight 1. timedemo
> > > gives 370 FPS, in game i have set it to com_maxfps 85. The stuttering
> > > still continues.
> > > The bugs in the audio code of ioquake3/quake3 are well known and
> > > fixed in more advanced engines like cnq3 from promode.org
> > > and the upcoming QuakeLive.
> > > I backported the audio fixes from cnq3 (a ioquake3 fork) but the
> > > symptoms are still there.
> > > However, i remember to have running Quake 3 under Linux on a
> > > 400 Mhz AMD K2 and a 3dfx card (later Ati 9200 with the x11-radeon
> > > driver) as well as on a laptop with Windows XP and a 8mb Ati mobility
> > > card without any issues regarding sound.
> > >
> > > That of course where the days before ioquake3's switch to SDL:)
> > > Another SDL-based engine, Darkplaces (for Quake I) shows the same
> > > symptoms.
> > >
> > > Basically i think that load alone is not the issue here since reducing
> > > the graphics to the bare minimum doesn't help.
> > >
> > > Forgot to say, since ca. 2 months i was forced to use aucat since
> > > useing libsndio without aucat produces distortion. I'm at work now so
> > > no dmesg, sorry. Soundcards i used where mainly 2 different
> > > soundblaster cards and 1 azalia.
> > > Btw., emu(4) and aucat proved to be an excellent solution so far
> > > (beside the stuttering), no noticable latency.
> > >
> > > Alf
> > >
> > > Allthough i do not have a radeon in that machine at the moment i
> > > can plug in one any time for testing, i would love to get this
> > > working.
> >
> > the 2nd and 3rd chunks in
> > ports/devel/sdl/patches/patch-src_audio_SDL_audio_c *could* be the
> > problem here.  but those did fix other SDL applications, and even stopped
> > segfaults in some apps, at least with the audio(4) backend. the code is
> > twisty, but I'm 99% sure at least the third chunk is correct. the second
> > is not really correct, but as I said, it fixed some apps.
> >
> > it could be that this engine relies on the "vanilla" "broken" behaviour
> > though.  it does seem like a buffer size problem.
> >
> > running aucat pretty much guarantees there will be no conversions in
> > SDL, which makes those changes irrelevant.  since using aucat seems
> > to help ...
> >
> > if you guys remove those changes and it significantly helps these games,
> > I'll test other apps and see if they're still needed ... there's lots
> > of SDL apps, but I think I remember some of the ones that were
> > crashing without those changes.  ffplay comes to mind.  so do the
> > nintendo emulators.
> >
> > --
> > jake...@sdf.lonestar.org
> [...]

Ok, i did some testing.
First i built and installed sdl (p9) without the aforementioned patch,
recompiled ioquake3 and could play ca. 30 min. with perfect sound.
I then applied the 3rd chunk of the patch, rebuilt and installed sdl,
rebuilt ioquake3 and could play another 20 min. Then some slight
stuttering occured again.
I will test some more over the week if time allows.

Alf