[ not commenting on what sthen@ already commented ]

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 02:26:24PM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> 2. How much tweaking of the author's make file is acceptable, I added
> a target for make all

You should just set ALL_TARGET = ent in the port Makefile. No reason
to add a patch.

> I'd like to further simplify the make file by
> removing a few things. Is that sort of thing OK?

If you don't need to patch it, then don't patch it. There are several
ways to override things by setting proper variables in the port,
and avoiding patches is good because you don't have to maintain
them (should the upstream author ever roll a new release).

Please have a look at bsd.port.mk(5) (warning: that's a lot of
stuff) or, for a starter, on Bernds porting tutorial at

http://www.openbsd.outback.org/papers/opencon07-portstutorial/index.html

Ciao,
        Kili