On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:02:56 -0500, David Taveras wrote

> I think everybody should use ports *ALWAYS* if they are following -stable
> ... and even though the package could be the same as the port (in
> some cases) mixing -release with -stable isnt a good idea.
>
> What do others think?

I think this is a waste of effort, and two incorrect assumptions.

#1:  mixing -release/-stable

Any -stable patch requires that there be no /usr/lib changes.  So unlike
-current, one can mix/match -release/-stable as needed.  If underlying
dependent libraries need to be bumped, then the fix would not be applicable to
-stable.

To the best of my recollection, when -stable used to extend to the ports tree,
this was also the case.  And, as far as I know, this is also the case for
unofficial -stable ports.

#2: using ports "always"

A port's purpose is to build a package for install.  See ports(7).  Unless
there has been a bump to the port since -release, "make install" will just
rebuild and install exactly the same binary package that would be available
from a CD or a nearby mirror, faster and more easily.