Kami Petersen wrote:
On 2009-09-10 11:26, Toni Mueller wrote:

Hi,

I learnt that I can say "pkg_add -ui" to get the latest of everything
in my already-installed packages (right?). But I have to install a
certain package first, and that's where the question begins:

I'd like to be able to eg. say "pkg_add vim_no-x11" and let the package
system figure out which one is the latest. So far, I only know how to
say "pkg_add vim" or "pkg_add vim-7.2.77-no_x11" if I want the no_x11
flavor. Otherwise, I have to know the specific version, too.

man pkg_add:

"In case of ambiguities, for instance: pkg_add screen (matches screen-4.02 and screen-4.02-static), pkg_add will error out, unless it is invoked in interactive mode (option -i)."

That doesn't really help, since he is talking about "automated" package installation.

I have a hunch that there is no answer to that question.
I would find it very convenient to be able to do this, but seems like an impossible task to properly accomplish. Seems to me that keeping an up to date mirror of latest packages to be installed (not any others, though), might work, but only seems worthwhile for many installs, not just personal use.

A question, though. Is there a regex that will pull proper package names, without version numbers from pkg_info on an already up to date system?? That would make a clean install easier for a fresh system duplicating old package set.

Chris Bennett

  -- Robert Heinlein