hmm, on Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 05:43:28PM +0000, Edd Barrett said that
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:41:41PM -0500, Brad wrote:

> > Track down and resolve the issue with OpenBSD first.
>
> Perhaps ktrace might give some info?

apart from the rtorrent/mmap issue, i can't remember
openbsd being ever rebooted by a user space process...
the whole mplayer issue is fishy.  it has worked
for years without any problems.

i think that the kern.shminfo.shmall=32768 is just
delaying/hiding the issues here.

during my multiple tries at playing that movie,
there is one new scenario: the whole xsession stops,
and xdm comes up again, exactly as if pressing
ctrl+alt+backspace -- killing the X process.

i am still guessing this must be a hw issue...
but none of the other eeepc owners report anything
like this.  (although it took over a year for the
others to confirm that the usb emulated sd card reader
cannot write to the card actually, so it's not good metrics)..

i saw some commits to the intel driver so i'll try a
more recent snapshot again soon..

i will also try ktrace and an mplayer svn build asap,
but since i have the sysctl setting, this was the
first movie that misbehaved so it's not easy to reproduce.

-f
--
i thank my lucky stars i'm not superstitious.