On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 05:12:35PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
> hmm, on Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:04:15AM +0100, Marc Espie said that
> > Please note that (n to go) is an estimate. In some cases, it can be off.
> > That said, I introduced an off-by-1 the other way round in pkg_add...
>
> i have noticed in pkg_add when doing a full upgrade
> the "n to go" to skip about crazily, sometimes from 96 to 89, etc.
>
> not to be an ass, but if it is an estimate, it should say so...
> i find "n to go" to be pretty empirical when it comes to software.

I won't change it back, because I like it better this way, and I'm not
alone. It's much more useful than the previous progressmeter.

Turning it off should go with the progress meter, not the verbose mode (.e.g,
-x flag)

> when i am doing an update (full or partial), it kind of doesn't
> matter how many packages are there "to go", esp if it's an estimate
> at best..  i think all the chat should go to -v (verbose).

You're very much alone in there, you know..

The fun thing is that, actually, the package tools are now chatting ways less
and giving more useful information than before.