On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 02:13:50PM -0400, Brad wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2010 14:25:06 Ryan Freeman wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is a second rev of my update. I rolled in some fixes
> > > taken from upstream for the i386/amd64 cpuid assembly code
> > > and I added support for detection of AltiVec on OpenBSD/powerpc
> > > using the sysctl, although AltiVec support is still disabled.
> > >
> > > Again please test. This is a pretty important bug fix release
> > > and this is used in a good number of games and multimedia
> > > related software for audio/video output.
> >
> > hey brad,
> >
> > tested on i386 with -current as of april 25th. everything works fine,
> > on the running application, however when an sdl app (chocolate-doom in
> > this test case) requests a fullscreen resolution smaller than your
> > regular X desktop resolution, it seems sdl uses XRandR to resize the
> > virtual desktop as well, which makes window managers scrunch up all
> > your open windows to the dimensions of the last-used smaller
> > resolution. i wasn't getting the behavior before, but i'm going to
> > roll back and retest with the last 1.2.13 release and see if any
> > different. regards,
> >
> Ping.
>
> You also didn't mention what window manager you're using.

continuing on, (wm was openbox updated to 3.4.11.1 from submitted patch)
i have tested the following: openbox 3.4.11.1, openbox 3.4.10 stock from
ports, sdl 1.2.14, (in both wms) and sdl 1.2.13 in both. sdl-1.2.13 does
not exhibit this issue. it seems the openbox devs might very well be
right on the money that there is a new bug in sdl where sdl changes
the virtual desktop size when it shouldn't, causing wms that keep windows
from disappearing into oblivion where you could never get them again to
resort windows into a smaller virtual desktop. thats the only problem
i see with the newest sdl. cheers!

-ryan