Jeremy Evans [2010-09-23, 15:45:40]:
> For those of you who don't follow ports-changes, just a heads up to let
> you know that I just committed a modification to lang/ruby that splits
> the port into separate 1.8 and 1.9 ports.  ruby 1.8 now installs as
> ruby18 and ruby 1.9 installs as ruby19.
>
> When you update or install ruby, ruby-rake, or ruby-gems, pkg_add will
> spit out instructions letting you know the commands to run to set up
> the symlinks for the ruby binaries so that you can choose to use either
> ruby 1.8 or 1.9 as your default system ruby.
>
> If you notice any breakage from this update, please let me know.

Are those symlinks required or optional?
Will OpenBSD packages use a default version like we have for python and tcl?

For instance, I noticed some ruby scripts shipped with amarok, which use
"env ruby". That currently does not work. Should this be adapted to use the
default ruby version if there is any?

Should dependencies be written to accept both versions?