On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:42:04AM -0700, Jeremy Evans wrote:
> > Are those symlinks required or optional?
>
> Optional, but it's recommended that you set them up either for 1.8 or
> 1.9.  All ports should work without the symlinks (if not, it's a bug),
> but if you install anything outside of ports, it may or may not work
> without the symlinks.

Maybe, if it uses #!/usr/local/bin/ruby, but I would guess that most
upstream sources will either use

        #!/usr/bin/ruby

(so you have to patch it anyway) or even

        #!/usr/bin/env ruby

which is just evil (at least for scripts installed in some place people
usually have in their PATH).

As a side effect, not creating symlinks to ruby18 or ruby19 actually
helps finding buggy #!/usr/bin/env scripts.

Ciao,
        Kili