> > I'm currently working on some of the kde4 Makefiles, and I'm running
> > into a few confusing parts.
>
> The main current issue with the kde4 stuff is that THIS kde4 doesn't build,
> nor can it be installed at the same time as kde3. I haven't had the time
> to figure out and test how to do that so that things work well.

I've already gotten all the kde4 subdirs to build, and I currently have
kdm running as I type this email. Unfortunately, many deps I added on
the fly to get things to build, so the makefiles need to be updated so
the packages will build on someone's machine who doesn't have the proper
deps, or knowledge of which deps to add.

With regards to the kde3 issue, I'm not sure I have an immediate answer
to that. I'd have to check with how other distros do it, if they even do
it at all. I personally would like to work on fixing the KDE4 issues
before handling the side by side install issue. Just to name a few I've
found so far:

* kde-base-runtime depends on libssh for the ssh kioslave, but OpenBSD
* uses libssh2 instead, which is not compatible. However, the functions
* transition over pretty cleanly, so it might be an easy search and
* replace to get things working, since the codebase is fairly small.

* The configure scripts look for many packages that are available in
* ports, but simply not defined in the makefile. I need to go through
* each package to figure out what those deps are.

* Sound will be tricky, since I see lots of "alsa not found" messages
* spewing by. I'm not sure if KDE has some kind of sound server like
* arts that I can work on fixing the audio initialization there, then
* have everything else hook into the sound server. Otherwise I have to
* change over EVERYTHING to utilize the OpenBSD sound interface (I'm
* assuming sndio(7) is the best one to use?)

* I can't get KDE to run in TightVNC, but I was able to get krfb to
* build for doing some kind of remote access for testing. Somewhat of a
* hack solution imho but one that works.

* Konqueror doesn't seem to be able to load up any page like google.com,
* openbsd.org. I'm not sure at what level it's breaking, so this could
* be a KDE or a QT issue.

* Those damn plasma system info plasma widgets are probably trying to
* use /proc to pull information. Least of my worries though.

* Things are VERY SLOW to load. The desktop alone takes about 3-5
* minutes to load on a dual core 2.8ghz with 4gb of RAM. Apps are the
* same deal.

* Whatever else I missed.

> It's somewhat pointless to do things before this issue is fixed. If you
> have fixes for that problem, then you're very welcome.
>
> Other stuff is not very welcome yet. Until kde4 is clean enough to be included
> in bulk build, it doesn't really matter.

The purpose for me is to get KDE to build and work on a system that is
difficult to get it to build and work on. Making it ports friendly is
more of a bonus result.

- Onteria