On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Nigel Taylor
<njtay...@asterisk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I have seen this, during the make the files are created outside of the build
> directory. When installing you get the collision. I have seen this with a
> number
> of the ruby packages. www/ruby-rack another example
>
> # make
> Installing gem rack-1.0.0
> Using local gem /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/rack-1.0.0.gem
>
> is the likely problem the make has installed the gem file, outside the ports
> directory. Either this steps need removing in the make or changed to be under
> the WRKDIR. Using sudo/systrace will stop this.

This sounds like a bug in ruby-gems.  ruby.port.mk is using gem
install --user-install with HOME set to ${WRKDIR}/gem-tmp, so it
should not be adding any files outside of ${WRKDIR}/gem-tmp/.gem.

Previously, ruby.port.mk used --install-dir and installed gems as
root. If this problem is a recent occurrence (since the switch from
--install-dir to --user-install in revision 1.29), it's likely that
the bug is in --user-install.

I'm actually at RubyConf this weekend. I'll see if I can track down
the ruby-gems maintainer and talk to him about it.

Jeremy