On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 06:49:40AM -0800, Max Stalnaker wrote:
> pkg_add -u works as documented in man pkg_add
> one might think pkg_add -u * would work the exact same way, but mostly it
> reports that files are not found
> this becomes a issue if I
>
> pkg_add -u mplayer*
>
> for instance.

Usually programs work like they do. Especially when they're documented to
work that way.

All the wishful thinking you might do won't change that.

> I end up thinking that through this approach I can only update all packages
> installed, not one package only.  This seems to me to be an undesirable
> situation.

Indeed. You should strive to correct that situation. Most specifically,
read the manpage again. Think carefully. Figure out that you got it
completely wrong and backwards.

It's perfectly possible to update a single package, assume I want to
update kobodl.  Assume it's already installed
I just have to say
pkg_add -u kobodl
and this will work.