From: Ian Darwin <i...@darwinsys.com>
To: John Doe <jl2...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "ports@openbsd.org" <ports@openbsd.org>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: I really, really hate CUPS

If you can't figure this out on your own, go away, and just use packages.

> KDE4?doesn't need a no-cups flavor. It just needs to have the dependency on
> CUPS removed, and leave it up to the end user whether or not to install CUPS.
> ?
> Isn't CUPS stand-alone?
> ?
> What's all this crap you are COMPILING into everything else from CUPS,
> anyway, that we would need a special flavor just to get rid of it?

For any build dependency:

$Depends works better with $Dependency if it can use the $Dependency
API. For that, the $Dependency header files need to be installed
before $Depends is built.

The packages don't necessarily have to be there at run time, that
is the beauty of our build system: people that USE PACKAGES (yes,
that is a hint) don't have to deal with this stuff. There are no
packages for KDE4 for reasons that have already been explained here.

If you can't live without the bloatware that is KDE4, you'll have
to use a different operating system. Maybe kubuntu would suit your needs.