On Thursday 22 March 2012, Ted Unangst wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012, Joel Sing wrote:
> > 1. Version numbering - in some ways once Go version 1 is release the
> > versioning will be somewhat like Python and in the future you may want to
> > install Go version 1 and Go version 2 on the same machine (different APIs
> > for
> > example). However, during the development phase there are weekly tagged
> > releases that are simply YYYY-MM-DD versioned. For this reason I'm
> > thinking that the version numbering should be 0.YYYYMMDD for now and 1.0
> > for the version 1 release. Continued development could then follow on the
> > 0.YYYYMMDD releases. Or should we have two packages - a "go-weekly"
> > package and a "go" package?
>
> My understanding is that the weekly releases will be a lot less
> interesting/recommended after version 1.

This is correct.

> Just plain go should suffice until and if version 2 is released.  I don't
> think we need to provide a weekly port unless people are expected to use it
> for something other than hacking on go itself.

That is a fair call. Having also discussed this with a Go core team member, it
would seem that I was pre-empting things when I probably do not need to. We
can deal with this down the track if/when the need arises.

--

    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.
     Do not count on them. Leave them alone." -- Ayn Rand