On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 09:33:08AM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:50:14AM +0200, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
> wrote:
> > I know. Probably the problem is different for each application, but I've
> > had a lots of problems with Gtk3 applications on other OS. All related
> > to gnome-settings-daemon. Let me explain my experience with other OSs.
> >
> > I use various WM that don't run the gnome daemons. Some gtk3
> > applications don't start and others run with problems. I run
> > gnome-settings-daemon and the most of the programs run OK.
>
> Yes that is a very common issue with gnome applications running outside of
> gnome.
> But it is not related to gsettings nor gtk+3 ; there was the exact same issue
> with gnome2 apps.

In my experience the issue is more usual with the gtk3 applications. The
last years I haven't had problems with gtk2 applications related to
gconf.

> > I want use Gtk3, I really like, but I don't want use gsettings if is
> > problematic. And I will not run a gnome daemon (or other daemon) just
>
> You do _not_ need to run gnome-settings-daemon.
> Just do you know, as soon as you have gtk+3 in the dependency chain, you get
> gsettings for free (dconf included); so enabling gsettings in an applications
> will not cost any more dependency.

I was not speaking about the dependencies. I have no problems with a few
extra dependencies.

> > for that a application reads a few config options.
> >
> > In the emacs case, I think that the gsettings support is innecessary.
>
> This I cannot comment on.
>
> I just don' like this comment:
>
>    > > > Note for the rest of maintainers: if you are importing new software
> that
>    > > > permits to disable the gsettings support, please use this option.
>
> because there is no technical argument and it has to be a base by case
> decisioa anyway.

Right. The comment is too generic and subjetive. Let me try again:

If you're importing new software that uses gsetting, test the software
on a non-gnome WM. If you have problems, try disabling temporarily
gsettings in the package.

Better, right? :)

> > The same for me with OpenBSD. How many non-gnome applications are using
> > gsettings on OpenBSD right now?. Maybe the number is too low for to see
> > the problems.
>
> They are using gsettings through glib+dconf.
>
> > > Does this new emacs install any schemas? If so did you add proper goos to
> > > the PLIST?  Was dconf running?
> >
> > - Yes, but in the wrong directory.
> > /usr/ports/pobj/emacs-24.1-gtk3/fake-amd64-gtk3/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1/etc/schema/schemas.xml
>
> Then it is a _porting_ problem; unrelated to emacs/gsettings.
> Fix the port so that is installs things in the correct dirs. If you want
> gsettings, you need the devel/dconf MODULE and the corresponding goos.

OK. I'll try again this afternoon.

> > Obviously emacs is broken and also other applications. Some day the
> > upstream will fix the bugs, but disabling the gsettings support is the
> > quick fix for problematic applications. The applications can use other
> > backend for the configuration.
>
> Sure but advising people to disable gsettings everywhere when the issue is
> that your port installs things in the wrong directory is not really a good
> excuse to disable it.

My advice was due my bad experience with gsetting. It's not related to
the broken port of emacs.

> > I don't want that the OpenBSD developers waste their time fixing this
> > type of stupid problems :)
>
> OpenBSD developers can waste their time the way they want to :)
> I'm the one who worked and imported all the pieces for gsettings in

I know. I read the commits. Thanks for your hard work on gnome/gtk :)

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info