I am soliciting opinions about the "safety" of py-pip package
management system. I am using Python primarily for scientific
computing/prototyping. Many of standard scientific python modules in our
ports tree are a bit outdated (trying to update some of those ports is
on my todo list as I am sure it is on todo list of many people but busy
schedule is another story).

Inspired by my recent experience with hs-cabal I decided to play with
py-pip on one of 5.1 installations which I will update soon.
Surprisingly or maybe not I was actually able to update most of my
python modules with exception of scipy which fails with linker problem

ld: cannot find -lpython2.7

How safe is really using py-pip as a Python package manager? Is it
possible to reconfigure py-pip to behave like cabal which installs
modules in my home directory rather than in /usr/local/bin?

Best,
Predrag