On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:57:46AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Change PREFIX to /var/cfengine, too.
>
> This isn't a good match with hier(7) :-
>
>      /var/      Multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files.

This above is not fully true, we have unbound in /var/unbound,
tomcat in /var/tomcat...

Yes but cfengine concept is special, it is not just mgmt tool,
but autocorrecting tool. The (official) purpose for having
cfengine in /var/cfengine is because you can have /usr/local
mounted via network which would make autocorrection of cfengine
useless. cfengine should be installed "locally" on all hosts,
not depending on sharing /usr or /usr/local, the best build
statically.

Scenario: you fucked up your fstab for network mounted /usr/local,
then cfengine has not way to repair it as it is not available.

And last one... This location is what upstream "supports".

jirib