On May 07, 2013 23:50, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> Spoiler: I'm not talking about Haskell but about ghc here.

You mean keeping hugs and remove everything else? Because I don't see how hugs
could build all the packages that make use of haskell2010 and all the
ghc-extensions.
The utrecht compiler isn't an option as well, because it needs ghc to bootstrap
and even then doesn't support all ghc-extensions.

To lower the impact of ghc we could remove all hs-ports that don't need patching
and work out of the box with cabal.
Or we could unhook all hs-ports and only keep the haskell-stuff hooked, that
people need to build their desired hs-ports. If something breaks, it would be
their problem to rebuild the hs-ports that would otherwise get a bump.

I hope we can find a solution without removing ghc because that would force me
to switch to another OS entirely :(
(starting my thesis next week using haskell)