How are other distros/OS doing? Do we really need to bootstrap each time? Could not the old working binary be saved to some kind of semiofficial porttools.tgz used on the computer for building all the ports? We would then have two flavors of GHC: The normal one installed to /usr/local/ and one that would install to /usr/porttools/ from where a porttool.tgz can be generated easily.

Would a porttools.tgz together with all the other base-tgz files be a bad idea? Would it help any other port?