Thanks to Remco for this.  As I write this I am in kde4, with stuff
working as before.  Time to test more...

--STeve Andre'

On 01/26/14 09:46, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
26.01.2014 17:43 пользователь "Remco" <re...@d-compu.dyndns.org> написал:
Vadim Zhukov wrote:

26.01.2014 12:34 ???????????? "STeve Andre&apos;" <and...@msu.edu>
???????:
On 01/26/14 03:21, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
26.01.2014 11:55 ???????????? "STeve Andre&apos;" <and...@msu.edu>
???????:
     I'm still learning about KDE4 so perhaps this is my fault, but
I'm having problems at the moment.

     When I run kde4 from the last two package snaps, the splash
screen comes up, but I have a single virtual window.  Going to
the window behavior panel I can set multiple windows, but after
clicking apply nothing happens.

    Any panel I bring up is missing the top controls and window
frame, so I can't move it.  Fortunately ^Q works.

    When switching to 4.11.5 I moved the .kde4 dir, but cleverly
destroyed it so I can't test with that.

    What am I missing?  Can I turn a debug history on (or up) so
I can better see what's going on?

     This is an amd64-current system updated/compiled on Jan 25th
about 7pm est, with a package set from 1/24.

The transcript from console could help in finding the issue. Most likely
it's related with deconflicting patches for renaming binaries; I already
removed one erroneous patch which broke KHelpCenter, but there could be
others.

Running:
OpenBSD 5.5-beta (GENERIC.MP) #225: Fri Jan 24 12:16:08 MST 2014
     t...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP

I think it's kwin not starting. (when running KDE from .xinitrc I
see "ksmserver(15854) KSMServer::wmProcessChange: Window manager "kwin"
failed to launch", there don't appear to be any other related messages)

kwin as such doesn't appear to exist, but it exists in a renamed version.

When I work around the problem by making a symlink from
/usr/local/bin/kwinv4
to kwin (ln -s kwin /usr/local/bin/kwinv4), the windows appear normal
again.
P.S. the binary could be called kwin4 instead of kwinv4 on a slightly
older
snapshot.
Thank you a lot! Expect a fix today or tomorrow, when I'll get back to my
laptop.