Remco wrote:

> Vadim Zhukov wrote:
>
>> 26.01.2014 12:34 ???????????? "STeve Andre&apos;" <and...@msu.edu>
>> ???????:

>> ???????:

>> The transcript from console could help in finding the issue. Most likely
>> it's related with deconflicting patches for renaming binaries; I already
>> removed one erroneous patch which broke KHelpCenter, but there could be
>> others.
>>

> Running:
> OpenBSD 5.5-beta (GENERIC.MP) #225: Fri Jan 24 12:16:08 MST 2014
>     t...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> I think it's kwin not starting. (when running KDE from .xinitrc I
> see "ksmserver(15854) KSMServer::wmProcessChange: Window manager "kwin"
> failed to launch", there don't appear to be any other related messages)
>
> kwin as such doesn't appear to exist, but it exists in a renamed version.
>
> When I work around the problem by making a symlink from
> /usr/local/bin/kwinv4 to kwin (ln -s kwin /usr/local/bin/kwinv4), the
> windows appear normal again. P.S. the binary could be called kwin4 instead
> of kwinv4 on a slightly older snapshot.

I noticed the startkde4 script honours the KDEWM environment variable.
Removing the symlink and setting the KDEWM variable in .xinitrc/.xsession
seems to work as well, e.g.: (this is supposed to be a single line)
exec env KDEWM=/usr/local/bin/kwinv4
 /usr/local/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/local/bin/startkde4