On 10/21/14, Stuart Henderson <st...@openbsd.org> wrote:
> On 2014/10/21 10:58, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Stuart Henderson <st...@openbsd.org>
>> > I'm fetching distfiles as my normal uid, then doing builds as pbuild.
>> > pf.conf:
>> >
>> > "block quick log proto {tcp udp} user pbuild"
>> >

>> This can be disabled by user and bypassed,
>
> If you're aware of a way in which an unprivileged user can change PF
> rules, it's probably best if you let me (or security@) know in private
> mail.

I read that comment as: the system admin, may not
(forgets to?) enable such a rule. Also, the pf rule route
seems a bit "clunky" and disjointed from the ports process.

>> you can't bypass systrace during ports build. Also, it would be
>> possible to place files in FAKE /etc i.e in places other than /usr/local?
>
> I'm confused. It's ok if the port build puts things in directories
> writable by the user doing port builds, because that user only has
> filesystem permissions to write to a limited number of places
> (mostly the build dir).

Consider a wip port, which may write files in $HOME, or
worse yet, delete files or directories from $HOME.

I always felt more at ease, knowing systrace would "slap"
the hand that attempted that, whether maliciously or
erroneously.

--patrick