On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:45:50PM -0700, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> "Dmitrij D. Czarkoff" writes:
> > FWIW on my ThinkPad E325 the performance of mpv is really bad.  (MPlayer
> > does no good here either, although ffplay copes with everything just
> > fine.)  I also noticed that it has problems with unmuting if master
> > output was muted before mpv started.  To really unmute I had to mute
> > sound in mpv by pressing "m" and then unmute it by pressing Mute button
> > on my keyboard;  no other combination worked out.
>
> Not sure if this is related, but sound is very choppy for me, and:
>
> AV: 00:05:23 / 01:40:58 (5%) A-V:  0.020
> [ao/sndio] Blocking until remaining audio is played... (sndio design bug).
>
> was added in this commit:
> https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/387d5f55e639425bfb6ee1efec4e21202e5642ad
>
>    "ao_sndio: print a warning when draining audio
>
>    "libsndio has absolutely no mechanism to discard already written audio
>     (other than SIGKILLing the sound server). sio_stop() will always block
>     until all audio is played. This is a legitimate design bug.
>
>    "In theory, we could just not stop it at all, so if the player is e.g.
>     paused, the remaining audio would be played. When resuming, we would
>     have to do something to ensure get_delay() returns the right value. But
>     I couldn't get it to work in all cases."

The above discussed "bug" is that when one hits the pause button,
audio doesn't stop immediately, but blocks during ~0.2 seconds
while finishing playing the already submitted audio samples. Mpv
developpers complain about sndio not providing a function to
discard submitted audio samples. The problem is about stopping and
doesn't affect sound during playback.

The "choppy sound" during playback is caused by something else. It
used to work so it's fixable :)

[...]

Out of curiousity, what's the CPU why playing videos with the
choppy sound?

-- Alexandre