On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2015/09/22 0:43 "Anthony J. Bentley" <anth...@anjbe.name>:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Peter Kane writes:

>> jless, jvim, and kterm are all basically patchsets on top of very old
>> forks of existing projects. None of them have been updated in the past
>> 15 years. In the meantime the projects they were forked from have gained
>> multilingual support of their own and are still actively developed.
>>
>> The native Japanese OpenBSD users I know use uim, anthy, and xterm.
>
> Some recent threads:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=japanese&q=b
>
> My personal experiences (old blogpost, might be useful for reference):
>
> http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2014/12/typing-in-japanese-in-openbsd.html
>
>> Also, it looks like kterm defaults to EUC-JP. That's not so great, as
>> most OpenBSD software that cares about encodings should be using UTF-8,
>> and in the future will keep moving in that direction.
>>
>> Due to these factors (plus the amd64 problems), I'm inclined to remove
>> these dead ports. Marc?
>
> I find myself thinking I should have something to say about this, but not
> knowing what.
>
> They were a blind alley for me at one point, but I suspect there might still
> be some obscure cases, etc., and those who are most interested have a
> difficult time keeping up with English posts.

Thanks for following up. I originally looked at some of the posts
linked above and also got ibus-anthy working with leafpad. However, it
needed leafpad to run as root (trying as an unprivileged user didn't
seem to work). As I only want to use it occasionally I opted for the
jvim solution as it was OK on i386.

Peter