Hi,

This question is probably not only about wpa_supplicant, but I was
affected by that one port, so will write what I've noticed.

I've upgraded to:

OpenBSD 5.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #1440: Thu Oct  8 07:52:55 MDT 2015
    dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

and upgraded all ports to the latest snapshot (for example
wpa_supplicant-2.5, digital-signature signify:2015-10-06T16:46:04Z)

After reboot I could not connect to wifi and to wired networks with
wpa_supplicant as it failed in both cases as follows:

# wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D openbsd -i iwn0
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to get link-level address for interface 'iwn0'.

I've recompiled the package and pkg_add -Dinstalled it and it's all good
now. However, I've looked at security/wpa_supplicant ports directory and
pkg_info -f output for old and new package and I don't see any wantlib
bumps in binary package nor revision bumps in the port.

Does that mean if someone installs wpa_supplicant today like me and
later new package snapshot arrives with fixed wpa_supplicant, it will
not get upgraded, right?

Should wpa_supplicant (and maybe other networking ports) get rev bump?

I'm not sure what changed recently in networking stack to affect this.

--
best regards
q#