On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 09:42:23PM +0100, Uwe Werler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 08:15:57PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:32:25PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > But treating this as "extremely dangerous" without offering a path
> > > forward means that people need to "roll their own" approaches when
> > > faced with related needs.
> >
> > The way forward is use tor properly to access hidden services.
> >
> > tor2web was conceived in 2008 to make it easier for whistleblowers
> > to use tor instead of nothing. Unfortunately in 2015 whistleblowers
> > have very good reasons to use something better than tor2web.
> >

> Hello Stefan,
>
> what do You mean with "use something better"? I'm really interested in Your
> suggestion.

It depends.

As discussed, if tor2web is used to set up a site which receives leaks,
IPs making submissions can be de-anonymized so tor2web should not be
used in this case. So "something better" might be tor or something else.

In the reverse scenario, where a site sends leaks obtained from who
knows where out to the open internet from a hidden service location,
tor2web may make sense. Or it may not. I'm not quite sure. Tor has
so many edge cases as is even if both sides run Tor. I won't believe
random stranger's from the internet opinions about any of this.

If Pascal is not willing to put effort into maintaining a port
flavour for this feature, I won't mind that in the slightest.