On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Dave Vandervies <dj3va...@terse.ca> wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Here I propose the build of libstdc++-v3 as part of devel/arm-none-eabi.
> > Some ports do build it (e.g. devel/avr32), while others don't (e.g.
> > devel/arm-elf).
>
> (The main reason arm-none-eabi doesn't build it is because I used arm-elf
> as a template.)

I'm somehow missing the initial email that Daniel wrote that proposes
building libstdc++ as part of arm-none-eabi, however, that bit me while
working on some stuff last week. I think the toolchain is not very useful
without it.

> > There was an effort to keep devel/arm-none-eabi the same, while trying
> > very hard to follow what was done in devel/avr32. gcc-linaro was split
> > in two. The first is gcc-linaro-bootstrap, used to build newlib, and
> > then gcc-linaro itself, with libstdc++-v3.
>
> One issue with separating out the bootstrap compiler (that's quite
> relevant on ARM, but I don't know enough about AVR32 to comment there)
> is that the newlib build uses the bootstrap GCC multilib configuration
> to configure itself, and the main GCC package expects newlib's multilib
> configuration to match its own.  So anything that changes that (like
> my local patch that I need to clean up and get merged at some point)

I don't think that a FLAVOR is the right way to go, in this case I feel it
should be built by default.