Somebody claiming to be Brandon Mercer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Dave Vandervies <dj3va...@terse.ca> wrote:

> > One issue with separating out the bootstrap compiler (that's quite
> > relevant on ARM, but I don't know enough about AVR32 to comment there)
> > is that the newlib build uses the bootstrap GCC multilib configuration
> > to configure itself, and the main GCC package expects newlib's multilib
> > configuration to match its own.  So anything that changes that (like
> > my local patch that I need to clean up and get merged at some point)
> >

> I don't think that a FLAVOR is the right way to go, in this case I feel it
> should be built by default.

The only way I can make sense of your objection is if you're reading
my suggestion as making with-C++ and without-C++ flavours of the main
compiler package, which isn't what I thought I was saying (and wouldn't
address the problem that motivated my suggestion).
Let me try again...

Would making gcc-linaro-bootstrap a FLAVOR of gcc-linaro, and therefore
keeping the patches and the configuration for the bootstrap compiler in
the same place as for the main one, be feasible?
(The build process would then need to build both flavors of gcc-linaro,
one to build newlib with and one to get the package people will actually
use that depends on newlib.)

dave

--
Dave Vandervies