On 2016-02-03, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <i...@juanfra.info> wrote:

>> Firefox 44 appears to have snuck in a change in font handling:
>>
>> Bitmap fonts are no longer used.  At least that's what I see with
>> only the default fonts installed (xenocara defaults plus ghostscript
>> since that gets pulled in as a dependency).
>
> Search the string "font." in about:config. The text in bold are
> non-default values. Look if you have the file
> .config/fontconfig/fonts.conf. Firefox uses these about:config
> settings and fontconfig to select the fonts.

All default values, no ~/.config/fontconfig/.

> Open "ja.wikipedia.org", click with the secondary button of your mouse
> in any line of text and click in "Inspect Element". Click in
> "Inspector" and "Fonts". It will show which font is used to render
> that text.

DejaVu Sans.  (Which doesn't have glyphs for Japanese.)

You are treating this like a bug report.  That wasn't my intention.
I assumed it was some conscious upstream change.  (I see the same
on FreeBSD.)  I don't consider it a problem, but I thought I'd bring
it up _before_ ports lock, because people always get worked up over
any Firefox changes.

So am I to understand that this is not a general change in Firefox
font handling?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de