On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 05:52:53PM +0900, Bryan Linton wrote:
> On 2016-03-21 21:28:17, Peter Kane <pwk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 06:59:18PM +1300, Peter Kane wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the detailed notes. I'll give it another go shortly.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > OK, I take it all back, partly.
> >
> > At first it wasn't working at all but after a few or more Xorg restarts it
> > began to show signs of life. I unloaded a lot of the conversion engines
> > that I didn't want and added "set encoding=utf-8" in a vimrc file. However,
> > the uim-toolbar-gtk often doesn't launch properly on startup for me so I
> > have to wait a while and try again (I would just get a preferences icon).
> > The keyboard switching also seemed erratic and laggy. The anthy part runs
> > as root.
> >
> > On the whole it wasn't a great user experience, but jvim isn't really any
> > better. Maybe I can refine the settings further to make it better. Thanks
> > again.
> >

> To be honest, I'm not really sure what advice to offer.  For me,
> switching between input methods is nigh instantaneous.  I also
> don't have any anthy processes running according to pgrep or top;
> UIM handles connections to it internally.
>
> Can you post your entire .xinitrc file?  Obviously redacting any
> information that needs to be.
>
> Also, can you try the following:
>
> 1) Launch uim-pref-gtk
> 2) Under the first page that opens (Global settings), under
> "Advanced settings", does checking/unchecking the "Enable lazy
> input method loading for fast startup" have any effect on
> anything?
>
> On my setup, that option is checked and I don't have any problems,
> but YMMV.
>
> --
> Bryan

I chose to include the following in my .xinitrc:

export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
uim-xim &
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/cwm

I have streamlined the setup by turning off some things that I had enabled,
such as menu-based IM switcher and things seem to be a lot smoother now.
However, two problems remain.

1. I still have to wait a while or have several goes at getting the full gtk
toolbar to appear. Toggling lazy startup doesn't seem to affect it. Since I can
start uim input without it it is just useful visual feedback on where the
settings are at.

2. If I'm running in a now default UTF-8 xterm I don't see the correct kana
characters when I am in conversion mode. I seem to be getting unrelated
half-height characters instead. The final kana/kanji output is correct. Do you
know if I can fix this with the default fonts?
If I switch to conversion mode in a Firefox html notepad (data:text/html,<html
contenteditable>) the kana fonts display during the conversion input as
expected.

Now that the startup is running better I haven't seen any anthy-related root
processes hanging around in top.

Peter