I agree that it isn’t very clear. I took a look at the Lua mailing list,
and although there isn’t a clear yes or no regarding making changes,
portability and avoiding undefined behavior was mentioned, so maybe
it’s better to leave it as is. I only found one thread in that mailing
list, so it doesn’t look like a common need.

I’m going to try to work around it in the Awesome configuration, or I may
build Lua myself with the additional specifiers to test it. I can’t find
any other threads related to this in the ports mailing list, so this is
probably the best option.